Sunday, October 25, 2009

ministry and hermeneutics!

This week we were all in class with prof. Merrill Dyck (not Dick, like I did on one of my papers) learning about hermeneutics. To say the least it was pretty sweet and intense. With hw every night along with tons of pre-course work for OT LIT, post-course work for spiritual formation and even pre-course work for the next class after OT Lit! I don’t think I got to sleep before 1am this week. But this was a week of immense learning and gaining knowledge, it was unbelievable. I don’t think I’ve yet fully absorbed all of what I learned this past week, and I for sure haven’t applied I’ve all I learned to my bible reading. We also got into some pretty heated discussions about some stuff, mainly baptism. If people got into a heated discussions about baptism, just think when it comes to pre-destination!

During the week of class I still was involved in my church and camp ministries. Here at camp I was again in the kitchen cutting up peppers, tomatoes, potatoes and the such. This week a bit bigger than last week’s but not very much so it still wasn’t so bad. Some of the KalĂ©os did counsel over the weekend. And some again in two weeks for another retreat. Yes we are getting into retreat season until like December, so please keep Camp Qwanoes in your prayers and that everything can go smoothly and we will be either the first encounter they will have with god, or maybe we will be the last deciding factor in their faith.

Pastor Darren is now the senior pastor of Ladysmith Fellowship Baptist. The church seems to be quite happy with him, and God is providing Darren and his family with a home in Ladysmith and three offers on his current house. I think the idea that me and the other kaleos came up with coincides perfectly with Darren coming into the church. Since the “high schoolers” I say that because they aren’t really in high school, more like middle school, but they always go to a Sunday school, and we thought that they should be in service at least once a month and then we could talk to them after the service about what they learned, or what the sermon was about. And with Darren being younger, they will be more inclined to listen.

This week at youth group we watched a movie, and then one of the leaders, Vince, set up three chairs. One for Ellie and I the other chair was for him. The situation he gave us was that me and Ellie were Christians and he was an atheist and we’re on a plane that has 2 minutes left until it crashes and we all die. We were supposed to convert him in that time frame. It’s safe to say that “atheist Vince” is not in heaven. It reminded me that in a few months we will be in the Olympics, sharing the Word of God. Although we can’t do it explicitly, we are able to make connections with fellow volunteers and share them our story, and who knows where it will lead from there?

It was just a reminder that I have no idea what kind of situations I will be thrown into, but that I have to put my full and complete trust in God the Father.

1 comment:

JES said...

Yay, Hermeneutics! For us it wasn't the predestination debates but the roles of men and women that got heated, so watch out for that one!
Poor Atheist Vince. On the way to HBTS D-Ras, Tommy, Tavis, John Man and John Mac had a long debate about religion. Atheist John Mac is still an atheist but hopefully we can change that.