Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hello Again Mr. Blog

Olympics:

Jim Badke would be sorely disappointed in me if I just said the Olympics were great. He wants us to tell stories. Although there are many stories to tell, many of which aren’t mine I will tell you some of which are mine.

The first few days were a struggle for me because the times I was by myself I said to myself “this sucks I can’t see anything, or anyone” and I did not focus on why I was there. After the second day I spent some time in the prayer room we had erected in the church and started praying, and stumbled onto the thought of why I was here. I was at the Olympics to pray and talk to people, if I wasn’t praying, then I should be talking and vice versa. I wasn’t doing that at all, so the third day I was put in a very isolated spot and was like “Yes! Now I can just pray” and so I did. The third day was great.
It was amazing how fast Christianity came up in conversations, I would be on the bus from the top of the track to the bottom and I would be telling the driver why I’m a Christian and what I’m doing here, at school, etc. The best was watching people react when they heard I’m a Christian, it was either, “oh, really?” or “right on! Keep going, keep doing that. There’s not enough young people like that”
It was also interesting hearing about people’s connection with Christianity even though they aren’t Christians. I met a girl who majored in Buddhism and Phenomenalism, and took two years of Christianity. I met another woman (at the hockey game) who took classes in Biblical archaeology and the such for a year. Talking with them, it was very interesting.

Now on our days off we did some hiking. We went to Shannon Falls, and hiked in and around the falls, and kind of getting “lost.” We climbed all three peaks of The Chief, which was “one big rock” as Jim called it. We also walked out onto a spit into the ocean after driving on one the bumpier roads I’ve ridden. Then walking on a wooden platform, that was pretty narrow, but we had log posts to hold onto. I also won free tickets to a hockey game ( Swiss Vs. Norway). Matthew and I went down to Vancouver, which was “like Tokyo except with white people” as Matthew described it.
Overall it was great.

Regular Kaléo Ministry:

1. Youth was a fun time. The highlight was by far the Eno and Sprite. Eno is like an alcasalzer, so makes things fizzy, and when mixed with fizzy pop, we’re talking a lot of fizz. Now combine all that with the kids’ mouth. We tried to see how could hold it in the longest, it was hilarious. Next week Katie, Ellie and I are leading it, so let’s see how it turns out.

2. Church was sweet. Stayed in the service and learned about conflict resolution in the Christ-like way, then went to our “second” church and learned about family, of both the body of Christ and immediate. I say our “second” church because the other church in Ladysmith starts later than ours, and ours is short, so we basically get two sermons a week!
Kaléo Life:

Homework – theology paper (Dichotomy Vs. Trichotomy)

Reading- four gospels and textbook about gospels, very interesting reading together.

The beach! – We all headed over to Mystic Beach, near Victoria, on the west side of the island and chilled on the beach with a beautifully sunny clear day. It was early march and I was playing soccer on the beach with no shoes, no shirt and shorts on! What a great day!

Time for Gospels!

No comments: